Practice Areass

Paternity / Legitimation

If parents are not married, issues regarding custody, child support, and parenting time arise that differ from those when the parties are married. If a child is born out of wedlock in Georgia, a father has no legal rights to a child unless he instigates a legitimation action. For him to obtain custodial rights or visitation, and to enable a child capable of inheriting from a father, he must take specific legal steps. A mother’s recourse to establish child support is to file an action to determine paternity of the child, and once paternity is established, the father will have all of the legal duties and obligations to a child as if he or she were born in wedlock.

We’re Here When You Need Us

Clear, timely communication is as important to us as it is to you.  At Hedgepeth Heredia, we make sure that you have access to us, and we keep you informed of every decision and detail, every step of the way.